the Pickle Guys, we are committed to our neighborhood and
its Jewish heritage. We want to be an integral part of our
area and carry out the traditions of the Lower East Side Jewish
community, of providing Manhattan with its finest pickles.
The following is a list of historical synagogues that are
Historical Lower East Side Synagogues
Eldridge Street Synagogue.
The Eldridge Street Synagogue was completed in 1887. It is the first building designed and built to be a synagogue by the Jews from Eastern Europe--from whom 80% of American Jews descend. Eldridge Street was one of the busiest synagogues on the Lower East Side--as many as 1,000 people attended holiday services here at the turn of the century.
Beth HaMedrash HaGadol
This Gothic Revival former Baptist church
was built in 1850, and purchased in 1885 by the oldest Russian
Jewish Orthodox congregation in America.
Formed in 1906, this is the only congregation of Romaniote Jews in the Western Hemisphere. They descended from a cluster of Jewish enclaves originally settled in Greece at the time of the destruction of the Second Temple.
First Roumanian - American Congregation
Established in 1860, the Roumanian congregation
acquired this red brick, former Methodist Church in 1882
and converted it to a synagogue the same year. Its elaborate
sanctuary is one of the largest in the city, seating over
1600. The synagogue was recognized internationally as a
center for cantorial music; known as "the Cantor's
Built in 1849-1850, this is the oldest surviving
building in New York City built specifically as a synagogue,
and the first synagogue structure built on the Lower East
Side. At its completion, it was the largest synagogue building
in the United States, seating 1200 people. The structure
was purchased in 1986 by Angel Orensanz, a well-known Spanish
The second oldest remaining synagogue building
in New York, this handsome red brick structure was built
in 1853 by Congregation Rodeph Sholem, a Reform congregation
established in 1842 by German immigrants. They occupied
the building for almost 50 years, and then moved to the
Upper West Side where they are still located. Since 1891,
the synagogue building has been continuously occupied by
the Congregation Chasam Sopher (Seal of the Scribe), which
was founded by Polish Jews. The congregation holds daily
services every day of the year, led by Rabbi Azriel Siff.
More worship places…..
Beth Hachasidim De Polen